Search This Blog

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Into The Mystic.....



New friends: The waitress, Jeradina, who was totally cool to me for 1 day and 2 nights, and James Harris, the cute musician.
Cost: I dropped some cash in Mystic. Whoopsy. Time to get back on track with the peanut butter fold overs and creative entertainment that costs nothing. Per diem is in DIRE STRAITS.


The drive to Mystic, CT from New Haven is cake. A straight shot up the coast on I-95.
I rolled into town with no plan or lodging. Not really knowing if I would stay the night or keep rolling.....

Like many before me, I'm sure,...I drove straight to Mystic Pizza. What can I say? I'm a pop culture junkie who also happens to collect T-shirts for various reasons and purposes. So I had to get a "Slice Of Heaven" t-shirt because Julia Roberts has one. If it's good enough for Julia... I had no pressing need to get pizza there, because frankly--it's kind of a joke in these parts about how bad the pizza is at Mystic Pizza. Didn't want to waste my money on something bad that wouldn't serve me in the present or in the future....

From there I walked around the charming tourist-friendly area of main street. I asked around for places that were somewhat secret...and happened upon Margarita's...for: (drumroll)....a margarita. I must give their house frozens a thumbs up--and if you get there at happy hour, they have complimentary snacks for the purchase of a drink. ($6.50).

2 margaritas helped me get in the after 5 mindset, and after meeting a cute Connecticut man who wanted more than a beer with me... I decided this was my kind of town. And just for the record: No, I didn't.

I found Bartleby's. A high quality cup of coffee with free wifi. It was there that I found my (at first) subpar motel room...which I later traded for a better one on night two.

Yes,...a place I thought I would pass through ended up being a place for me to recharge and sit still for a moment.

I stayed at the Days Inn. $90. a night. They have a pool (which you cannot break into after hours :(). It's close to everything. Free breakfast until 9:30am. Good breakfast even (make your own waffle style), with juice, coffee, muffins, etc...

Night 1, I was dying for a shower. I booked the room through Priceline and hauled ass to take a shower so I wouldn't miss dinner hours at this place I spent the better part of my afternoon looking for....

The bartender at Margarita's, spoke of a secret called "The Mystic Mile"...I heard the letters DPI being thrown around. My GPS couldn't find the DPI, dammit. It was even an accident that I found it online. I'd pretty much given up when I typed in "The Best Food In Mystic"....Up came a list of unfamiliar places. One of which was called The Captain Daniel Packer Inne. AH HAH!! D.P.I. I fucking found it!!! So, like I said: I had about 45 minutes to find the hotel, take a shower, put my face on and make a B-line.

Alas, it was so easy to find once I knew the address! It was too easy in fact. Not on the main strip, it doesn't attract tourists who are not resourceful. Only ones who aren't satisfied with being spoonfed. Only ones who know how to ask the right people the right questions. And only ones who do their homework when they sit down at a computer.

MAN WAS IT WORTH THE WILD GOOSE CHASE.

The Daniel Packer Inne is a rustic old building that has likely been there since the 1800's?. It has a pirate-like lodge feel Old stones erect the walls and the tavern part (never even went upstairs)....is like a perfect crawlspace, that all of the locals readily accept as plenty of room for everyone who shows up.

I got there in the nick of time to order my first ever lobster roll. I have been hearing this term: lobster roll, since before I left Texas. "You gotta get a lobster roll, you gotta get a lobster roll.

So here I am. Manifesting wishes.

Lobster roll it is: Hot Lobster Roll: Fresh hand picked lobster meat sautéed with a sweet sherry butter. Served on a grilled seasoned roll with crisp lettuce leaves…$15.95

And I needed something green, so I went with the D.P.I. Dinner Salad: A delicate balance of red leaf lettuce and crisp Romaine topped with crumbled blue cheese, shelled pistachios, dried cranberries and cucumbers. Drizzled with our raspberry, champagne, and maple syrup vinaigrette…$6.95


It was easily the best meal I have had on the trip so far. Period.

Just before I was finished eating, the waitress----Jeridina (sp?) gave me a heads up that I was sitting where live music would be played.

Live music? Great food? Nice waitress? Cool building? Hard to find? No white tennies and screaming children?? They are going to have to kick me out of here. And they did. After I watched the entire show put on by the lovely and talented James Harris. We made fast friends, because I was intently enthralled with his performance that all the locals seem to take for granted. I even started a sad little tipping trend (only one other person followed suit)... James is a skilled hottie who did some Stones and Wille Nelson for me. Made me miss home.

Didn't get the best night sleep, but when I decided to do Brattleboro, VT between New Hampshire and The Catskills instead of tomorrow...I was relieved to get some good hard sleep here at the Days Inn.

I'd made a decision to take a vacation from my vacation and...sleep in a bit, have free breakfast, go back to sleep like a bear, wake up at my leisure...go to the Mystic Aquarium, spend the rest of the sunlight at the pool and update my blog. A nice chill day. After doing the aquarium, I felt no guilt whatsoever for spending the better part of my afternoon/evening at the Days Inn. Got a wild hair around 11pm....and decided to show up at James's last minute gig at The Ancient Mariner.

He sounded just as sweet, and treated me like we were old friends...

They closed early-ish...so I made my way down to The Daniel Packer Inne for the 3rd time. (Went earlier for dinner between Aquarium and swimming---had the cod....not nearly as delicious as the lobster roll). There was a FABULOUS jazz band playing until the wee hour of 1am, when only the D.P.I. is still awake.....

James ended up coming down there after his gig and we were able to chat a bit before I head on down the line.

At closing time, I slipped into the ladies room waiting line. An odd fellow started yelling at me, "What are you doing now?" "Where are you going?" "Where are you staying?" "Wanna hang out?" "Why not?"

He looked like the creepy bald guy from Midnight Oil.

I politely smiled and ignored him.

Went outside to chat with the other ejectees, and he followed. WOULD NOT LET UP about where (was I) staying(?).

I slipped back in before they shut the door to say goodbye to James, and the nice bartender asked me if I wanted him to sneak me out through the kitchen. He did, and I was on my way.

Saw Midnight Oil walking, and he even started waving his arms around like I was going to pick up his drunk ass and start making out with him. DUDE! Drunk, clueless, idiots are such drunk, clueless idiots!!!

Here I am getting all up to speed, and eager to see my man, Steve Martin, rock some bluegrass in Newport tomorrow (tonight). 5th row, baby. I'll let you know.

Sadly...no photos are allowed at The International Tennis Hall Of Fame :(.....

Photos of Mystic, CT coming asap....

1 comment: