Search This Blog

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Fist Pumping In Federal Hill


Location: Providence, RI. Neighborhood: Federal Hill
Today's Total: $139.35.
New Friends: The bald bouncer guy at Smoke, The front desk girl at Dolce Villa

In this particular blog I will discuss money and truth. It is designed to be helpful, hopefully--- rather than just gauche...because I want you to feel like you can take trips too.

I often jump without a net, and you can too.

Book one way, then make some mo money and book the way home (You'll find a way if you buy a non-refundable ticket to a place far from home ;)). Baby steps. THEN, make some more money, and book a car....etc...etc...etc. Start over a month out, if you can...better rates, more time to come up with a plan.

The interwebs is THE SHIT. Shop around, but when you see an affordable option....NAB IT. It will likely be 50-250 more expensive the next time you look it up.

Priceline, Expedia, Craigslist, Couchsurfer.com....etc... are budget travel friendly sites.--Google "Trips on a shoestring budget" and see what comes up.

I started this blog because I couldn't find one exactly like it :). Honesty, 4 letter words, drinking, smoking, spelling it out, open about money. Y'know? BOTTOM LINES? I'm into that.

You can't say "This is in a shitty part of town" on a rental listing---but I can say whatever the fuck I want to on this: The Irreverent Traveler. It's not The Respectful Traveler, or The Sensible Traveler, or The Regular Tom Dick And Harry Traveler, after all.....

Without further adieu....


Getting here was a task today.

You try to take 3 weeks worth of stuff somewhere and avoid an extra baggage charge. And I was even skimpy. 4 pairs of shoes people!!!

My main suitcase, which I have lovingly named "Haas", weighed in at an unacceptable 66lbs.
--The cutoff is 50lbs when flying Southwest. I had to "redistribute" the 16lbs. I was able to somehow squeeze it all into my carry-ons. The nice man at the counter let my 5lbs discrepancy slide this time. I tipped him $5, for saving me $50.

You get to check 2 bags, and carry on 2 bags (One small enough to fit under the seat).

One of my bags that I checked was a guitar. Haven't played yet....but I'll let you know if it got screwed up pressure-wise.

The baggage headache was made obsolete by the sweet flight attendant's free party cup filled with Dewar's on the rocks: A perfect nightcap after a long day of flight. Thank you, whoever you are.

Cab ride from the airport to Federal Hill....$36. including tip. OUCH. My car isn't ready until tomorrow.

I arrive at Dolce Villa. With a million suitcases (4) in my little flip flops and cowboy hat. It was indeed the adorable building in the picture...but you can't HEAR pitchers. And these pictures don't include the area's inhabitants.

I was instantly whapped in the face by one of my favorite Jersey Shore hits, "You Know I Wowntcha"(see video). I was surrounded by people who definitely have PREMIUM tanning and workout memberships. And who have no qualms with donning short sequin skirts and stilettos on a Wednesday.

Ok, ok I thought---When in....Hell.... Do as the hellions do (without the uniform). So, I checked in, dropped off my closet to-go and decided to attempt a blend-in.

HEH.

The large bald bouncer at Smoke was very sweet and informative.

After he guessed I was from somewhere else, and asked where....he recommended I check out Olive's...which I indeed might do during my stint here in Rhode Island (although...it also doesn't look like I would fit in undetected as a foreigner)..... But, he said they have live music--and I am curious what this part of the country thinks that is.

2 Coors Lights, 2 shots of Jamesons: $22.25 + 4 dollar tip= $26.25.
Glad I got my first fiscal mistake over with.

My earnest intention is not to repeat this careless mistake. Per diem has been affected. But,....what can I say?? I had "new in town" syndrome...and my Summer resolution is to stop beating myself up when I do things that are stupid....because that doesn't undo anything :). No looking back.

Thank heavens for my fabulous white on white on white room, complete with 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, huge bathroom, living room and 3 cable infested televisions= $72. Popcorn, biscotti, and delish coffee included. Booked it through Venere.com. (The cheapest quote in Rhode Island for a Boutique Hotel).

Tomorrow, Ocean Drive...with a girl I've known since Jr. High.

P.S. I have had 4 cigarettes today :). That is good for me.
Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment